Sunday, June 5

You are what you read

I spent the weekend in the future on the couch watching what you call "cable" in an effort to see why no one reads anymore.

As someone who could not read until I was 9 and I got to go to school in Philadelphia, it's hard for me to understand why anyone wouldn't read. In my day, about the only thing available that even remotely resembles your moving pictures (or movies as you now call them) is a zoetrope or a magic lantern show. 

I've seen a couple of modern moving pictures while visiting the future and have been vastly entertained but decided more research was in order.

All in all, moving pictures are fun. They're short and appeal to many senses. However, they don't require as much of your imagination since someone has already imagined the story for you.


As an example, I offer you Flossie's Accident. Flossie's Accident first appeared as a short story in Maud Hart Lovelace's classic 1943 book, Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown.

Even last weekend at the Phoenix Comicon they were encouraging reading through a program called Kids Need to Read. 

Meanwhile, please pick up a book and read it. Maybe even a book that has been made into a movie. You'll be amazed at what you have missed.

And never take your ability to read for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment