Monday, July 25

Meet Cécile!

I am so excited! I am soon to be joined by another African American Girl! Her book, Meet Cécile by Denise Lewis Patrick, is not due until Aug. 30, but my anticipation is building.

Set in 1853 New Orleans, the stories revolve around Cécile and her friend Marie-Grace and how their lives are affected by a Yellow Fever outbreak.
Cécile Rey can't wait for Mardi Gras -- New Orleans' dazzling season of parties and costume balls. For the grandest event of all, the Children's Ball, Cecile is determined to come up with a fantastic costume like no one else's. Everyone will notice her! And after Mardi Gras, Cecile's beloved brother, Armand, will finally come home after two long years in faraway France. But Mardi Gras season turns out to be even more exciting than Cecile expects when she meets a new girl named Marie-Grace Gardner. Together they form an unlikely friendship ... and share a daring adventure!

Some claim that I shall be retired when Cécile debuts, but I think they have Me confused with that other Addy doll.

I shall never retire!

In the meantime, if you're looking for great books about 19th century New Orleans I can't recommend the Benjamin January series by Barbara Hambly enough. Make sure you start with A Free Man of Color.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment