Thursday, September 29

The Banned Adventures of Captain Unmentionables!

I decided to go for ridiculous ("Riddikulus!") today.

I stand with Captain Underpants Unmentionables!
Have you read The Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey? You should. It's a hoot.

I first read it because my Big Sister was reading it in her third grade class. It's a series of eight (so far) books about two fourth graders, George Beard and Harold Hutchins, and the superhero they accidentally create by hypnotizing their principal, Mr. Benny Krupp.

The Captain Underpants books were reported by the American Library Association to be the 13th most frequently challenged books between 2000-2009. However, the series won a Disney Adventures Kids' Choice Award in 2007.

According to the ALA, Captain Underpants was banned in some schools for insensitivity and being unsuited to age group, as well as encouraging children to disobey authority.

Honestly, do these people who are banning books even talk to kids anymore? Unsuitable? What do they want? Union suits?

(P.S. I have to put in a plug for one of my favorite books by Pilkey, The Paperboy. Thankfully it doesn't seem to be banned anywhere and I adore the peaceful nature of it.) 


No comments:

Post a Comment