Sunday, September 25

To Ban a Mockingbird

"Remember it's a sin to ban a book."
It's Banned Books Week. A week where I read at least one banned book a day.

I think I shall start with my all time favorite: To Kill a Mockingbird.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee was published in 1960 and won the Pulitzer Prize. The book is loosely based on Lee's family and neighbors, as well as an event that occurred near her hometown in 1936, when she was 10 years old.

So why is it banned? Usually because it "contains profanity and racial slurs."

Duh. So does life. Especially life in a small town in the South in 1936. We can't white-wash the past (future?) to make it more acceptable.

"Remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird." That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it. 

"Your father's right," she said. "Mockingbirds don't do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . but sing their hearts out for us. That's why it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

And it's a sin to ban a book.

So ... what to read next. So many books and so little time.

Wait! What am I saying?! I'm a time traveler - which gives me all the time in the world!

I think I shall "Scout" ahead and find another banned book to read and defend.


No comments:

Post a Comment