Tuesday, October 18

Momma, don't take my Kodachrome® away

Momma didn't do it, but Eastman Kodak sure did.

Kodachrome® was the trademarked brand name of a type of color slide film that was manufactured by Eastman Kodak from 1935 to 2009. The last roll of Kodachrome
® was developed on Dec. 30, 2010.

Momma's Sharbat Gula
National Geographic photographer Steve McCurry used Kodachrome® for his well-known 1984 portrait of , the "Afghan Girl" in National Geographic magazine. She was identified 17 years later as Sharbat Gula.

As Paul Simon sang in his famous 1973 song:

I can read the writing on the wall

Kodachrome®
You give us those nice bright colors
You give us the greens of summers
Makes you think all the world's a sunny day, oh yeah!
I got a Nikon camera
I love to take a photograph
So Momma, don't take my Kodachrome® away
I'm feeling sentimental since Momma and I got to attend the Paul Simon concert Monday night in Phoenix. Paul, of course, sang Kodachrome and it was all we could do not join in.

But then the urge overpowered me....


No comments:

Post a Comment