Saturday, March 10

Cruising for a bruising

Sheesh, apparently it is as easy as falling off a bicycle.

hbbcinc.com
Momma went out for a bike ride on her new cruiser with my Big Sister yesterday.

And managed to fall once. Sigh.

She later calculated it had been at least 16 years since she last rode a bike.

I guess I'll have to borrow my good friend Molly McIntire's bike to show her how it's done.

When she wasn’t roller skating outside in the fresh spring air, Molly might have ridden a sturdy bicycle just like this one. Based on a two-wheeler from the early ’40s, Molly’s bike is equipped with working light, a rearview mirror, a wire basket, and a handlebar horn to toot” to friends. The toe clips keep her feet secure as you wheel your Molly doll around.

Momma's new bike is a lot like Molly's. Cruiser bicycles, also known as beach cruisers, combine balloon tires, upright seating posture, and single-speed drivetrains and coaster brakes.

The bikes, noted for their durability and heavy weight, were the most popular bicycle in the United States from the early 1930s through the 1950s, and have enjoyed renewed popularity since the late 1990s.


(Momma admits to having a bike nearly identical to Julie's when she was a girl, only hers was turquoise.)

I wonder if Momma will get me my own steam-powered bicycle?


No comments:

Post a Comment